A BIT OF HISTORY
Papp's Dog Services was started by Jack and Sally Papp in Akron, Ohio in the mid 1970s, although they had been training dogs part time since the early 1960's. By Jack's reckoning, they have been "in the business" for 42 years as of Spring of 2005, and have earned an excellent reputation. In December, 2004 they decided to retire, and sold the business to Lewis and Susan Jenkins. Jack and Sally are now Trainers Emeritus, and, when the weather is warm, are running the West Canada Creek Campground ( www.westcanadacreekcampsites.com, great trout fishing stream! ) with their son and his family in Poland, NY (near Utica just south of the Adirondacks). When Winter sets in, they follow the Sun South.
Susan has trained several dogs to advanced degrees including American and Canadian Utility Dog. Her dog Becca was in the top 20 Labs in the U.S. for scores and placements when she got her UD degree. When Caleb was just over two years old he was ranked eighth in the U.S. among Labs using the Delaney Novice Ratings when he got his CD. Caleb left us suddenly at just over ten years old. He had his UDX4, OM5, and 89 points toward his OTCH with all of his first places. Caleb, Micah and Susan's Lab Toby all qualified for the Front and Finish Excellence Obedience Gold award for getting their CD degrees in their first three shows with competition scores of 190 or better out of 200. In the 2011 rankings, Caleb was ranked the number nine Labrador in the nation in the First and Foremost ratings. He was also ranked 23rd of the top 100 dogs for receiving High in Trials. Micah completed his CDX in early December 2011 with scores all in the 190's. In early February 2012, he completed his Utility Dog title. In less than nine and half months, Micah earned his CD, CDX and UD qualifying him for the Front and Finish Excellence Platinum award. Micah and Susan are currently competiting in agility. Malachi joined the "pack" in November of 2013 and is all ready training in obedience, field and conformation. Susan is a former boardmember of LABMED (www.labmed.org).
Papp's Dog Services has a balanced approach to their training and desires to give each person the tools they need to have their dog be a wonderful companion and a good canine citizen. One of Susan's stated goals is to have you become the best thing in your dog's life! Papp's Dog Services has assisted not only those who desire to compete in obedience and rally, but those who have had behavioral issues, such as fear biting, as well as helping the owner be able to have their dog be a good memeber of the family. Though we do not have a specific program we have also assited those who have trained their dog for service dog and therapy dog work.
Papp's Dog Services is located just under a mile west of Manchester road at 881 W. Waterloo Road, Akron, Ohio, 44314. The telephone number is 330-867-9188 or 330-212-9404. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Papp's Dog Services now has a page on Facebook. Check it for up to the minute news.
- Next Session starts the week beginning Monday, September 1, 2014. New Puppy Kindergarten begins Thursday, September 4, 2014.
- Papp's Dog Services now offers grooming by appointment only.
- We also offer drop-in Conformation and Junior Handler classes every Tuesday at 6:30.
- We now carry Fromm and Holistic Blend dog food products.
- See our Congrats page below to note staff and student awards.
- Susan is endorsed by NADOI (National Association of Dog Obedience Instructors) Click www.nadoi.org. Beginner's instructor, Angela Pleat and conformation instructor, Lois Brown are also members of NADOI. NADOI is the oldest organization for certifying obedience instructors.
- Susan is also a member of the International Association of Canine Professionals. www.canineprofessionals.com
Store hours are Monday thru Thursday 3:00 to 9:00.
Payment is by Cash or Check only
CONGRATULATIONS to Students and Staff ! !
© 2002-2014, Papps Dog Services
All rights reserved